Thursday, September 06, 2007

Great Moments in Self-Awareness

Rush Limbaugh spends about 45 minutes telling his listeners that he is not, in fact, a self-absorbed boor:

CALLER: You talk about yourself all the time lately in the last month. I know more about you personally than I ever knew, and I ran into you 20 years ago, almost 20 years ago, at 21, and you were a simple, sweet guy, and you really still are, but it's almost as if you're taking yourself seriously, and that's not you, and it frightens me to think...

RUSH: (sigh) If I'm to fix this, you're going to have to give me some examples of the self-absorption that you're talking about.

CALLER: Well, your golf. You constantly talking about your golf and how you go to Hawaii and how your friends and you smoke your cigars with your to friends, your wealthy friends, and you're constantly talking about your private life, and, uh, maybe I'm off kilter. I'm willing to admit it, but --

RUSH: Well, what about my private life have I said recently that shocked you?

CALLER: Huh. Huh. There's too many things to talk about.

RUSH: Well, no, because I don't talk about my private life. I'm very guarded and private about my private life.

CALLER: No, you're not! No, you're not. You're not private at all.

RUSH: I most definitely am.

CALLER: You talk about the big house that you live in and all the television sets that you have, and all about your trips and your (choking) playing golf and how you have these, uh, personal cigar meetings with these, uh, important people. It's as if you have taken yourself seriously, rather than say, "Hey, this show is not about Rush Limbaugh. This show is about everything going on in the world, not around me," and I've never heard you do that, in all of the years that I've listened to you and loved you. That's all. Nothing changes. I still think you're the best person ever.


Anyway, it goes on and on and on like this.

Permalink posted by Jonathan : 12:04 PM



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?