Friday, November 18, 2005

It's all the media's fault

I don't want to hammer the OSM/Pajama/Die! Brown Man, Die! Media venture, but I find it intriguing that the only real reportage (with the exception of the fake kind) to come out of their launch party was not from the assembled luminaries of the Right Wing blogworld, but from a party-crasher:

The September 11 attacks quickly became the meat of the conversation. But these nice folks didn’t mention the horror or death or the survivors or the wounding of a city or brave firefighters or fatherless children. They didn’t even offer a personal tale of the day. There were no “I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard” stories.

The talk went straight to the media coverage. One woman made comments about how the flow of information about it all slowed dramatically in the weeks shortly after the attacks. Why did “they” stop showing certain pictures from that day, another asked. A mainstream media conspiracy was afoot, it seemed to them. It was clear to me that none of them have ever worked in the news business.

I believe many of these people have come up with the information equivalent of the biggest mistake in dirty politics. As we know in politics, it’s not the alleged crime but the cover-up that takes you down. To some of these bloggers, it is not the story that matters but the coverage. And they want to use the coverage to take down whatever news outlet doesn’t fit in their world.


Just as I suspected, and it's something I'm always struck by when I visit these sites. Nothing, nothing gets the old blood a-boiling at InstaPundit or Power Line than when the coverage turns to the purported slights emanating from the Evil Big Media Jerk-heads. I continue to be flummoxed by it. The press are siding with the terrorists. The press are engaged in a conspiracy. The press are causing us to lose the war. The press are this and that and the other thing.

It's silly and childish.

Permalink posted by Jonathan : 12:39 PM



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?